Monday, January 2, 2012

Knowledge #5 - Learning about what my Parents Do

I have never really spent the time to know what my parents do or the kind of employment they do to provide for my family and I. I know that outside of my parents employment their church callings have always been in service with the Scouting Program or in the Primary. But I have never really seen my parents in action at work or knew what they do. I only know that they work at the Library at the BYU-Hawaii Campus. And I visit once in a while with my brother Kaluna or my sister Karen.

My father is an Electrician by trade. He helps people that have electrical problems within their homes. But his full-time job is a Electronic Media Technician on campus. He is responsible for the electronic devices installed in the classrooms across the campus. This includes projectors, projector screens, TV's, recorders, DVD/CD Recorders, computers, speakers, camcorders, still image camera's and so forth. His trade as an Electrician helps him understand how things are installed and setup for the use of classroom users. My father received on the job training for his work as an Electronic Technician. He is currently attending school to finish is University Degree in Electronics. And my mom tells me that he is always done with his Degree. I hear my mother call a "Jack of all Trades a Master of None" - Well even though he is a Master of None - my father takes the time to find out how to fix things on his own because we are very limited with our finances to have a contractor do the work for us. My Dad has been able to repair and teach my family and I to make "do" with what we have. And I am grateful for that lesson.

My mother is an Artist by Trade. She has years of experience in Music. But she works as an Account Specialist at BYU-Hawaii Campus for the Information Technology Department. For years she has worked in Administrative Support positions such as Secretary, Office Clerk, Office Support Analyst, Clerk Typist, Receptionist and most recently Office Manager. Her title of Account Specialist is the newest position that she has been promoted to and her job has come from years of experience as well as training and a degree from college.

My mothers job as an account specialist is to assist and monitor the funds being spent used by the University for Information Technology Projects. Her job also includes routine accounting responsibilities such as paying the bills the use of Internet, maintenance and support renewals for software used on campus, and assisting Director's to be on task with their projects. Her job also means that she receives training and requires traveling to Provo, Utah each October and monthly reporting to the Church Office in Salt Lake City. She is very important on campus as she helps build the Lord's Kingdom with the advancement of technology on campus.

My mother has been a great example to my brothers and sisters with "DOING" the task of receiving her Bachelor of Science Degree in Office Management. She sacrificed her time in working to go back to school and she has told me and my brothers and sister that she could not have done so with out the help of our Heavenly Father and her own effort in search, pondering and taking it to the Lord to know that "timing" was the right thing to go forth and do.

I love both my mother and father for keeping their eye single to the Glory of God. Most of all I am grateful for their sacrifices that they make for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment